Scrap Dive Quilts

Monday, January 20, 2020

String & Crumb Quilt Blocks


I am a firm believer that scraps do somehow multiply when placed in bins or boxes. I have been trying to get my sewing room cleaned up and organized, so I have been working on getting scraps cut up into useable sizes such as 2 and 2.5 inch squares and strips. Anything less than 1.5 inches gets put into my string and crumb blocks. I have been working on both my string and crumb blocks and feel  like it's taking forever to make any progress. The laundry basket doesn't seem to be getting any emptier!


I have continued to stick with making 4.5 inch crumb blocks. I have sewed four of them together to make an 8.5 inch block in the past. I think anything bigger with the pieces I use would be a challenge. 


Many of the strings I am using is from trimming the backs of my quilts. I didn't realize I had so much of it in my scrap bin until I started pulling all of the pieces out. From now on, after I trim off the backing and batting on a quilt, I will be taking care of the scraps right away. I will take the time and trim everything up into useable pieces. I think part of the problem was I that I quilted a whole bunch of quilts and was getting ready for a quilt show and was in a hurry.  


So many crumbs! 


This design wall is next to my sewing machine. It is really handy because I can grab a block that I am working on and add a piece. I normally use it as a leader/ender project.


A nice stack of string blocks!


I have been making 6.5 inch string blocks since the phone books that I am using work for that size. I really prefer 8.5 inch string blocks but that's ok. It's nice to use stuff up!

Time to get back at it! More crumb and string block to make! 

Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment